You may have asked yourself, “Why counseling?” and left without an answer. I hope this will shine some light and help you have a better understanding of the purposes and nature of counseling. Here are some reasons to consider the therapy process:
- To learn about yourself and gain a better understanding of who you are, what experiences have impacted you and in what ways, and why you do (and think and feel) some of the things you do;
- To grasp a clearer awareness of the problems affecting you – what they are exactly, why they impact you, and how you react to them;
- To practice accepting parts of yourself you may not like, you know not know or be aware of, or that you may outright dislike in order for you to be able to change them;
- To learn new skills that will help you more effectively cope with difficult feelings, respond to challenging events, and make healthy decisions in your relationships;
- To finally be able to escape your past – whatever those experiences or issues are – and live with more confidence and hope for your future.